Friday, November 12, 2010

Kuragehime


So when this came up on the fall television schedule, my initial reaction was "...jellyfish princess, what?"

I don't follow josei manga most of the time because it's mostly irrelevant to me being a twenty-one year old guy - there are exceptions of course, but for the most part I tend to stick to fantasy shoujo nonsense. Still, every now and then I'll find something as fantastically enjoyable as this has been so far.

A lot of times when I pick up a new anime, I lose interest by the third episode or so, it's rather sad. I thought that would be the case with this series, about a jellyfish otaku girl living in an all girls' dorm with other antisocial NEETs and her adventures in meeting a crossdressing bishounen.

It sounded like a gag series, might have some cute moments I figured, plus hey, I love jellyfish. Might as well give it a chance, not like I can't stop if I don't like it.

So I was really surprised to find myself really liking it right off the bat with the main character Tsukimi's antics, not to mention her dormmates are charming in an "oh god" kind of way. And the jellyfish Clara/Kurara is the cutest thing I've ever seen.



I think this show has the makings to be amazing, it's really a shame that it's only going to run for eleven episodes. Even the opening, Koko Dake no Hanashi, is a lot of fun.. though I admit I actually didn't like it at first, it grew on me. The show itself has a remarkably good feel, and like I expected it often relies on shock and gags, but in new refreshing ways that I don't think I've seen before.

I don't want to go into too much depth until I see the whole thing, but so far the characters are what are making it for me. They're just plain enjoyable to watch going about their day, I'd be willing to watch a show about nothing but the women in this dorm doing what they do.

Bonus points if the crossdresser Kuronosuke is there creating havoc, he's pretty much a riot no matter who he's around.. though it seems like he's got his own problems. Hm..

It's pretty good though, I might write a follow up about my feelings when it finishes.

Kuragehime is the property of its creators, owners and licensers

No comments:

Post a Comment